Mark 7:2 TOUS ARTOUS

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 15:31:50 EDT

I have been puttering around in MK 6-7 for quite a while now and every time
I read . . . ESQIOUSIN TOUS ARTOUS (Mark 7:2 ) I want to stop and ask:

TINAS ARTOUS;

Apparently this question came into the mind of not a few scribes since
Tischendorf's favorite MS. omits TOUS along with a bunch of others. But
Vaticanus reads TOUS so we know it must be original :-)))))

Ignore the previous paragraph, it is a side track.

The question: TINAS ARTOUS; raises a number of issues related to discourse
coherence. I have seen it suggested** that the referent (collective
singular) of TOUS ARTOUS (Mark 7:2 ) is the same as the referent of KLASMATA
in Mk 6:43. If this is the case then how do we explain the significant
narrative distance between the TOUS ARTOUS and KLASMATA?

In other words, assuming that the chronology between Mk 6:43 and 7:2 is
linear, which is not a safe assumption, even it it is linear we have the
disciples carting around TA KLASMATA for a while and I would think it might
have become somewhat wet and spoiled during the storm.

It seems like a bit of a reach to make this connection between Mk 6:43 and
7:2. So why TOUS ARTOUS and not ARTOUS. S.E. Porter* makes a distinction
between categorical and particular uses of the article. The categorical use
sets apart the substantive as a member of a SET of things distinct from
other SETs of things. However, Porter does not specifically state that a
categorical use of the article rules out anaphoric reference. In other words
it seems like TOUS ARTOUS might be both categorical and anaphoric.

If TOUS ARTOUS is anaphoric and is coreferential with KLASMATA in Mk 6:43
then this will have some impact on the question of discourse coherence in
this section of Mark. We might postpone that question until we settle the
question: Is TOUS ARTOUS anaphoric? But perhaps these questions need to be
answered together. Perhaps we need to address the discourse coherence
question to answer the question: Is TOUS ARTOUS anaphoric?

Do you see what I am driving at?

A simple little question like TINAS ARTOUS; may require an analysis of
constituents above the clause and paragraph level for an adequate solution.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*S.E. Porter, Idioms of NT Greek, p104 ff.

**W.B. Swete, Mark 1913, p142.