Re: Mark 7:2 TOUS ARTOUS

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 11:00:35 EDT

Clay:

My own reaction is that this fits the categorical function of the article.
Nontheless, on the discourse coherence, the ARTOUS topic does seem to
function to provide thematic coherence, which is likely even more important
in the construction of the gospels than a strict narrative coherence
accomplished by an anaphoric reference to the leftovers would be.

Now this brings up a related question for me: What do we make of the Pres.
Ind. ESQIOUSIN? I suppose it could refer to the particular occasion; or,
ISTM it may better refer to a generic and customary situation to which the
scribes and Pharisees were reacting (in which case it could well include
events such as Mk 6.33-44). In English the former could be
translated: "some of his disciples were eating [bread / food / their food]"
and the latter possibly: "some of his disciples ate [bread / food / their
food]". In either case, there seems to be several ways of handling TOUS
ARTOUS, but without trying to make it anaphoric.

Have a good day, and God Bless you!
Joe A. Friberg
Arlington, Texas, USA