Galatians 3:19 DIATAGEIS

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 08:24:49 EDT

Dear Dale,
    You cite Gal 3:19:

>TWN PARABASEWN XARIN PROSETEQH AXRIS OU ELQHi TO SPERMA hWi EPHGGELETAI,
>DIATAGEIS DI AGGELWN EN XEIRI MESITOU.

>The word in question is DIATAGEIS at the beginning of the second clause.
>I have determined that this is a form of one of two words:

>2: DIATASSW "to arrange" but what tense ,etc. Aorist or perfect perhaps
>but what person and number give -EIS?

It is DIATASSW, and is the aorist passive participle, and nominative,
singular, masculine. It agrees with NOMOS.

You translated:

>It was added a grace for transgessors until the seed has come to whom it
>was promised, | an arrangement | arranged | by angels by the hand of a
>mediator.

The word that you translated "grace" is really a preposition in the eyes of
most: "because of." The form could be the noun "grace," but the syntax
would be strange, with an odd genitive preceding the noun.

This is where it is helpful to check translations. They usually translate
DIATASSW with a word like "ordain" here.

Dale, you might want to invest in a grammatical aid called _The Analytical
Lexicon to the Greek New Testament_, by William D. Mounce. Then, if you run
into a difficulty of analysis, you can check this book, which analyzes
every form in the NT. It was published by Zondervan in 1993.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard