Re: Translation: Glossing, Domains, Arguments

From: Wieland Willker (willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 06:36:04 EDT

Molotov-Clay wrote:
We have a number of quite adequate English translations of the bible
available. We don't need to have it translated again by everyone who took
three years of Greek in Seminary. A pastor who gets up in the pulpit on
Sunday and says "this ought to be translated so and so" is putting his NT
Greek study to poor use. That in my humble opinion is not the reason we read
the NT in Greek.
------------------------------

I agree.
We even have extremely good translations. The normal pastor cannot translate
any better. Therefore it is not needed to produce yet another
"least-common-denominator" translation for preaching purposes. It is better
to use three or four of the best translations we have. It is not possible to
produce "better" translations.
I think the main reason why pastors learn Greek and Hebrew in school is
simply to recognize this fact (and to professionally represent it).

If you want more than that, you have to study Greek much longer and more
intense.

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><