re:Subject Assignment - Semantic Functional Hierarchy

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:21:03 EDT

Clay egrapsen:

>What I am wondering is, by the time we reach NT period has the assignment
of
>subject moved any further to the right on the SFH? Can the subject in the
NT
>period be assigned to the Beneficiary? Can the subject be assigned to a
>Recipient which is not animate?
>
>If this question makes no sense, trash it.

Your questions makes perfect sense but I'm afraid I haven't gone looking
for an answer.

In simple traditional Greek terms--
(a) are there examples of Greek sentences where the subject of an
apparently 'passive' sentence is semantically like a Dative
or (b) where the passive subject is inanimate (i.e. an active, transitive
accusative is made the subject of a passive clause)?

I would assume that you will find examples of (b), e.g. 'money will be
given' ac24.26.

Perhaps for the recipient question (a):
Look for an animate EDOQHN, EDOQHS
 'I was given'='I was entrusted with'
I don't have a computer program to search for it. If you can't find such
anywhere, then you/we will have a clue ...

errwso
Randall Buth