Re: Subject Assignment - Semantic Functional Hierarchy

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 17:06:49 EDT

on 05/26/00 7:21 AM, yochanan bitan wrote:

> Clay egrapsen:
>
>> What I am wondering is, by the time we reach NT period has the assignment of
>> subject moved any further to the right on the SFH? Can the subject in the NT
>> period be assigned to the Beneficiary? Can the subject be assigned to a
>> Recipient which is not animate?
>>
>> If this question makes no sense, trash it.
>
> Your questions makes perfect sense but I'm afraid I haven't gone looking
> for an answer.
>
> In simple traditional Greek terms--
> (a) are there examples of Greek sentences where the subject of an
> apparently 'passive' sentence is semantically like a Dative
> or (b) where the passive subject is inanimate (i.e. an active, transitive
> accusative is made the subject of a passive clause)?
>
> I would assume that you will find examples of (b), e.g. 'money will be
> given' ac24.26.
>
> Perhaps for the recipient question (a):
> Look for an animate EDOQHN, EDOQHS
> 'I was given'='I was entrusted with'
> I don't have a computer program to search for it. If you can't find such
> anywhere, then you/we will have a clue ...
>
> errwso
> Randall Buth

Randall,

I am now confused about the distinction between GOAL and RECIPEINT. It seems
like you are describing a passive construction where the GOAL is the subject
and not animate. I believe that this sort of construction is not
controversial. The controversial construction is the RECIPEINT being
assigned as the subject with the further restriction of being not animate.

 After over an hour of looking at passives of DIDWMI it seems that the idea
of the RECIPEINT being the subject is unlikely since it is typically encoded
with a dative. Where am I going wrong here? I cannot seem to find a single
case of a RECIPEINT which is a subject and so the further restriction of it
being not animate falls by the way.

I suspect that I don't really know how to do this sort of thing which is why
I asked the question in the first place.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

Addendum

Here is a list of the DIDWMI in the passive voice:

Matt. 7:7
Matt. 10:19
Matt. 12:39
Matt. 13:11