Re: Curious (Latin)

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 14:13:17 EDT

Rod:

Larry Swain is of course right about the script. In earlier times,
English publishers (like German and Greek) used a special "final form"
for s/sigma. (Of course, maybe the publisher is German.) The
initial and medial form, as in German, looks like an "f" without the
crossbar, or with only the left half of the crossbar. The final form
looked like our modern "s" (as in Greek and German final form), and that is
the ONLY form we use these days. So all those f's are really s's.

The text you have given looks like the second page in the front of the
book,the dedication page. I suspect the title-page has disappeared. You'll
have to read a little further to find out what the book is about, which may
give you a clue as to what it is.

Edward Hobbs

-------Rod wrote------>>>>>>

Anyone have any idea what this book is? A friend has a copy. It has a
mid-17th C. date and is a very thick volume.

Magnificis, Ampliffimis, Confultiffimifque
VIRIS,
D. APOLLONIO VETH
Florentiffimae ac celeberrimae MIDDELBUR-
GENSIUM Reip. Confuli primario:
D. ADRIANO VETH;
D.D. delegatis & Confiliariis Illuftr.Ordinum ZE-
LANDIAE a Confiliis & Secretis:
ERATRIBUS GERMANIS.

Thanks,

Rod