RE: Hebrews: Clouds, Author

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 13:16:03 EDT

<Ben>
IMHO the confusion arises because the NEFOS MARTURWN are considered by some
as a "*crowd of Spectators*", watching from some sort of heavenly viewing
platform on a fleecy white NEFOS...

<Bill>
So also is there confusion when Jesus is spoken of as the "author and
finisher of our faith". This verse speaks of Christ as the ultimate example
of faith - "the quintessential Faith-Man," not the manipulator of our
faculties. (ie: there is no article before "faith" and he is the "Prince"
not "author") so He is the "Prince of Faith".

Also while we're on the subject of "author of our faith" I made a discovery
that I've never aired on B-Greek, so I guess I ought to let the dogs
loose...

Rom 12:3 (KJV)
"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you,
not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think
soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the **measure** of faith."

I hold that the word "measure" (METRON) is not being used to denote a
quantity of faith, but a measuring **device**. In other words, God has given
to all a faithometer. Hence, we are not to measure inaccurately (too high or
too low). Then he gives examples:

Rom 12:6 (KJV)
"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us,
whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;"

I think the above should read "if prophecy, [it should be measured] in
consistency to the faith".

So all of the gifts are to measured by the right measuring stick.

IRRELEVENT STUFF:

As to clouds, I just happen to have read this description of them as
"bottles of heaven" and thought I'd pass it on for no particular reason,
just cause it appeals to my poetic sensibilities...

Job 38:37 (KJV)
"Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of
heaven,"

Can you picture someone trying to put lids on all of the jars dumping on
them? I wrote a song once with this image. It is available for free download
on my web page (the song is called O California).

Bill Ross
http://members.xoom.com/woundedego