b-greek digest: April 30, 2000

From: Biblical Greek digest (b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 00:00:02 EDT

Biblical Greek Digest for Sunday, April 30, 2000.

1. RE: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
2. Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
3. FREE - PUBLIC DOMAIN - Coptic True Type font
4. RE : Gal 2:20 - to the son
5. Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
6. Gal 2:20 - to the son
7. 1 John
8. Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
9. Re: 1 John
10. Re: 1 John
11. RE: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
12. re:NT Greek verbs
13. Teaching Top Down Analysis
14. Re: Teaching Top Down Analysis
15. 1Cor 7:5
16. Re: 1Cor 7:5
17. Re: Teaching Top Down Analysis
18. Re: Teaching Top Down Analysis

Subject: RE: Gal 2:20 - to the Son
From: "Bill Ross" <wross@farmerstel.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:19:34 -0500

<Harold>
Bill, please check BAG (Bauer, Arndt, & Gingrich) under ZAW at definition
3. ZAW can mean "live" of the conduct of life. BAG mentions that in this
signification ZAW is used with adverbs and other modifiers. It specifically
lists EV PISTEI at Gal 2:20. You are limiting the sense of the word ZAW too
much.

<Bill>
I stand corrected on this.

One can modify ZAW and create an indiom that has the sense of "conduct".

Let me rephrase my original point:

The word ZAW primarily denotes "to live, to be posessed of vitality, to
exercise the functions of life". In many instances it appears in English to
be idiomatic but is not, resulting in important misunderstanding. Case in
point, Romans 1:17:

It is not "The just person shall conduct himself faithfully"

but rather

"He who through faith is righteous shall live"

Bill Ross

From: "Steven R. LoVullo" <sundoulos1@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:07:42 -0500

Bill,

I think you are right about Romans 1: 17 in light of Paul's teaching on
justification by faith in Romans, where the emphasis is on imputation of
righteousness. However, the author of Hebrews appears to be using Habakkuk
2: 4 in the sense of "conduct," i.e., "the one who is righteous will live
(his life) by faith in me." The surrounding context, as well as the whole of
the epistle with its emphasis on enduring to the end without turning back,
confirms this understanding. For example, it is an "evil, unbelieving
(APISTIAS) heart that falls away from the living God" (3:12). It is "those
who through faith (PISTEWS) and patience inherit the promises" (6:12). The
author and his readers "are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but
of those who have faith (PISTEWS) to the preserving of the soul" (10:39; cf.
1 Peter 1:5). Indeed, the heroes of OT times "died in faith (PISTIN),
without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed
them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and
exiles on the earth" (11:13). And there is no contradiction if we realize
that faith is dynamic, so that the initial faith that results in
justification to life perseveres in ongoing trust in God throughout the
Christian life.

Steve LoVullo

> Bill, please check BAG (Bauer, Arndt, & Gingrich) under ZAW at definition
> 3. ZAW can mean "live" of the conduct of life. BAG mentions that in this
> signification ZAW is used with adverbs and other modifiers. It
specifically
> lists EV PISTEI at Gal 2:20. You are limiting the sense of the word ZAW
too
> much.
>
> <Bill>
> I stand corrected on this.
>
> One can modify ZAW and create an indiom that has the sense of "conduct".
>
> Let me rephrase my original point:
>
> The word ZAW primarily denotes "to live, to be posessed of vitality, to
> exercise the functions of life". In many instances it appears in English
> be idiomatic but is not, resulting in important misunderstanding. Case in
> point, Romans 1:17:
>
> It is not "The just person shall conduct himself faithfully"
>
> but rather
>
> "He who through faith is righteous shall live"
>
> Bill Ross
>

> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: sundoulos1@netzero.net