CAIRETE -- Goodbye?

From: Kevin D. Williford (KandSWilliford@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 11:00:54 EDT

I was reading through Edgar J. Goodspeed's translation of Philippians and
noticed that he translated CAIRETE as "goodbye" in Phil 3.1 and 4.4. I
have always translated them rather woodenly as "Rejoice in the Lord." He
on the other hand translates 3.1 as "Now, my brothers, good-bye, and the
Lord be with you..." and 4.4 as "Goodbye, and the Lord be with you always.
Again I say, goodbye."

Is this an idiom in Greek and, if so, are there any textual clues that the
idiom is being employed in these texts in Philippians?

(I hope this is an appropriate question for the B-Greek list and not the
translation list. If not, may the lords of B-greek please have mercy upon
me.)

Kevin D. Williford,
M.Div. Student
Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary