Re: PROISTHMI and Visionary Leadership

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 15:45:01 EDT

> Mark Nichols schrieb:
                           [snip]

> From the way PROISTHMI is used in ...

Hi Mark,

Yes, I did cut off the more significant part of your question. (But if I
haven't an answer...?) Never-the-less, regarding whether PROISTHMI is
arbitrarily or theologically designated a particular lexical entry...
IMO, this may be the case.

For example, Bauer assigns 1Ti 3:4,5, et al. to the "be at the head
(of), rule, direct..." definition, while saying that "perhaps" 1Th 5:12
and Ro 12:8 could be assigned to his "look after, care for..."
definition.

From, as you say, "the way it is used" I don't think we can reach such
conclusions, if you mean by that its grammatical use. The context is, I
think, necessary. Taken at face value, the contexts of most instances
don't give us much to go on. However, 1Ti 3:5 is interesting...

EI DE TIS TOU IDIOU OIKOU PROSTHNAI OUK OIDEN, TWS EKKLHSIAS QEOU
EPIMELHSETAI

EPIMELHSETAI's meaning is more akin to Bauer's 2nd definition ("to look
after, to care for..."). EPIMELEOMAI does not connote "to rule." We
would not expect Paul, or anyone, to ask: "if a man know not how to
repair car motors, how could he possibly grow a flower garden?" Paul,
IMO, must use PROISTHMI in a sense which corresponds to EPIMELEOMAI. At
least here...

David

D. W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany