Re: Gen 3:16 LXX & Susan T. Foh

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 19:55:11 EDT

Clayton Bartholomew wrote:

BB>The Hebrew teshuqah indicates a desire, either negative or positive.
The LXX translator apparently reads teshuqah in context as a negative
desire. Hence rather than use a neutral gloss such as epithumia (which can
be negative or positive), he uses apostrophe ("turning away" i.e.
"aversion"), which is indicative of conflict.>

CB>OK, then J. W. Wevers (Notes on the Greek Text of Genesis) glossing the
LXX as "returning" to her husband is not the only option for APOSTROFH.>

The challenge is to discern the context of the passage in Genesis 3. This
surely isn't easy since the passage is abbreviated and poetic in its
expression. Once the context is discerned one simply picks a definition of
apostrophe that is consistent with one's understanding of the context (and
hopefully there is such a definition).

CB>Can you cite examples of APOSTROFH being used in a negative sense such
as aversion?>

In LXX:

Deut 31:18 God hides his face
Sirach 18:24 God hides his face

Also Liddell-Scott lists "aversion" as gloss IV for apostrophe and cites
five examples from the classical literature.

CB>I tried to find examples of APOSTROFH used as "turning against" and this
was a failure. There are a number of ways to say "turning against" in both
Attic and Koine but the APOSTROFH word group is not one of them.>

Apostrophe is used in LXX to indicate a turning away. When the turning
away is in reference to God, then the sense is rebellion/apostasy against
God (e.g. Jeremiah 5:6). When the turning away is in reference to evil,
then the sense is reconciliation to God (e.g. Ezekiel 33:11).

CB>Thanks for the suggestion, Clay>

You're welcome of course; it's an interesting topic.