[b-greek] Re: Analytical Greek lexicon

From: James Ernest (jernest@hendrickson.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 09:03:34 EDT

I'm sure Clay's right. George V. Wigram's Analytical Greek Lexicon,
originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons at London in 1852, has been
around the block quite a few times. The company that I work for reprinted
it beginning in 1983, and Wesley Perschbacher's New Analytical Greek
Lexicon, which took over that spot in the Hendrickson lineup in 1990, is
described in its preface as a corrected and improved edition of Wigram.
Wigram was obviously based on a pre-Westcott & Hort (and Nestle-Aland and
UBS) text, so apart from correcting errors and improving layout, one of the
advantages of more recent analytical lexicons, including Perschbacher's and
similar books from other publishers, is coverage of the current critical
texts. I'm sure the original Wigram is still useful, though obviously
you're better off doing your own parsing and only using it when you get
stuck--and then never trusting it (or the more recent ones, for that matter)
completely.

James

James D. Ernest
Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
Ph.D. cand., Boston College
S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
  P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
FAX: 978/573-8243         PHONE: 978/573-2243
Mail sent to ernest@bc.edu <mailto:ernest@bc.edu> is accessible to me
anywhere and is also copied to jernest@hendrickson.com
<mailto:jernest@hendrickson.com> .
Mail sent to jernest@hendrickson.com <mailto:jernest@hendrickson.com>