[b-greek] Re: Reasons Not To Study Greek

From: QashishaD@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 21:24:23 EDT

In a message dated 30/06/00 10:41:02 AM, jkilmon@historian.net writes:

>I am sorry...but NONE of the NT books were authored in Aramaic.

I think by now I got the idea across that I really didn't mean to pronounce
Aramaic as the original language of the NT. I do disagree with Jack, and have
done so on another List, with the above. I think it likely that a few works
of the Apostles may have been bilingual in their origin. 1Peter is an example
of wonderful Greek, but the Aramaic text is more logical, with explicit OT
quotes and representative of an epistle written to Jews, not to Gentiles as
often taught. John's Gospel is a Semitic masterpiece, but much of this is
lost in the Greek text. As the purpose of this List is the study of Greek and
things pertaining to its use, I think it best we keep any discussion of other
languages in conformity with that purpose.

>There are no extant Aramaic "originals" of any NT work.
True, nor are there any Greek ones. Let's use all of what history has
preserved for us to search for the truth. Dimitri Grekoff