[b-greek] Re: John 6:27c

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 01:46:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/2000 8:18:42 PM Central Standard Time,
TEMsMail@aol.com writes:

<<
 I would like to ask for your assistance with the last phrase of John 6:27.
 However, I am afraid that I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

 The NAS reads: "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food
 which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man shall give to you, for
 on Him the Father, even God, has set His seal."
    .
    .
    .

The UBS4 reads: hERGAZESTHE MH THN BRWSIN THN APOLLUMEVHN ALLA THN BRWSIN
THN MENOUSAV EIS ZWHN AIWVIOV, HN hO UIOS TOU hANTHRWPOU HMIV DWSEI.
TOUTOV GAR hO PATHR hESPHRAGISEV hO THEOS.

I am puzzled with the last phrase of the Greek: TOUTOV GAR hO PATHR
hESPHRAGISEV hO THEOS.

Your understanding of this phrase is, of course dependent upon what you take
to be the antecedent of TOUTON. My immediate reaction is to understand it as
referring to what has just preceded it

THN BRWSIN THN MENOUSAV EIS ZWHN AIWVIOV, HN hO UIOS TOU hANTHRWPOU HMIV
DWSEI.

The problem with this is that TOUTON is masc. whereas THN BRWSIN is fem. OR
IS THAT REALLY A PROBLEM? When the early church attributed this to its Lord,
it had an object in view. This is revealed later in the passage --

EIPEN OUN AUTOIS hO IHSOUS: AMHN AMHN LEGW hUMIN, OU MWUSHS DEDWKEN hUMIN TON
ARTON EK TOU OURANOU, ALL' hO PATHR MOU DIDWSIN hUMIN TON ARTON EK TOU
OURANOU TON ALHQINON;

hO GAR ARTOS TOU QEOU ESTIN hO KATABAINWN EK TOU OURANOU KAI ZWHN DIDOUS TWi
KOSMWi

EIPON OUN PROS AUTON: KURIE, PANTOTE DOS hHMIN TON ARTON TOUTON.

EIPEN AUTOIS hO IHSOUS: EGW hO ARTOS THS ZWHS.

We therefore have the equation

BRWSIN = ARTOS = Christ

by the early church (an obvious reference to the Eucharist). ARTOS is masc.
and thereby fulfills the syntactical agreement. It is therefore Christ
himself which is certified by the Father as the "Bread of Life."

gfsomsel