[b-greek] Re: Luke 11:35 MH

From: l. j. swain (x99swain@wmich.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 12:58:32 EDT

Cassian DelCogliano wrote:

> Dear Greek Experts,
>
> What would be the exact usage of MH in Luke 11:35, SKOPEI OUN MH PHWS TO EN
> SOI SKOTOS ESTIV. It is a case of MH + the indicative. From the grammars I
> consulted, I see three possibilites:
>
> (1) as an expression of apprehension (cf. Blass Debrunner Funk 370(3)):
> "Take care, then, lest the light in you be darkness."

MH is used with the subjunctive and imperative; it may also express with
those moods a "negative purpose", which I think it does here. Lit.
"Look, then, so that the light in you is not darkness." In modern
English I think we have unfortunately lost the sense of "lest", such a
good word.

Hope that helps.

Larry Swain