[b-greek] Dispersed?

From: Mark Wilson (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 00:26:06 EDT

<x-flowed>

In the opening section of James (Jacob, for some), the recipients are
designed:

TAIS DWDEKA FULAIS TAIS EN Thi DIASPORAi

I think I can translate these words, but I am not so sure I can make any
sense out of them.

For some reason, I envision these 12 tribes scattered all over the place. In
fact, I am fairly sure history will support my understanding that these
tribes were indeed dispersed in MANY places beyond Palestine.

Are we to understand that James made 12 or more copies of this epistle in
order to ensure that it found its way to all 12 tribes (the intended
recipients)?

Or should I understand this designation of the recipients in another way? I
can translate the words, but I do not think I could explain them.

This question seems like a stretch for B-Greek, but I thought I would ask.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson