[b-greek] Re: ESCATH

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 09:13:43 EDT

<x-flowed>At 13:47 19/07/00, Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:
>Maurice:
>
>The article you referred to is:
>
> Malina, Bruce J. "Christ and Time: Swiss or Mediterranean?" Catholic
>Biblical Quarterly 51:1-31 January 1989.
>Hope this helps

Indeed it does, thank you. Only I'm amazed to find that it is now _ten_
years since I first read this article.

>I've been reading lot of Malina this summer in preparation for my Exegesis
>course I'm teaching. I would recommend his Social-ScienceCommentaries on the
>Synoptics, Gospel of John and Revelation. I'm amazed how little we often
>know about the sociology of the Biblical world and thereby make awful
>exegetical and hermeneutical mistakes because we assume that the social
>rules and order of Palestine are those of America and Europe.

Yes, I agree completely.
Indeed, only this week the RBL has posted a review of:
Jeffers, James S. The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring
the Background of Early Christianity
http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews/0830815899.html

The review makes clear that is introductory, rather than scholarly, material.
Nevertheless, I think it may well be of interest --- and use -- to some on
the list.

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]