[b-greek] Re: Eph 5:18, EN PNEUMATI

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 13:57:57 EDT

<x-flowed>
>By the way, I just checked the first passage, Mt 3:11, and found
>EN hUDATI ... EN PNEUMATI hAHIWi KAI PURI translated (NKJV)
>"with water ... with the Holy Spirit and fire."
>
>That is, why not just take it consistently throughout as: I baptize
>with water ... but He will baptize with holy spirit and fire?
>
>Paul

Does it not seem apparent to all that this discussion should have concluded
a long time ago?

I would not say these suggested translations by Paul are "bad" Greek; I
would say that they are "not" Greek, at all. Paul has decided how he will
"interpret" this, so is there anything left to say?

Paul is guilty of imposing his (false) theology into this passage, but we
all do that occasionally. The point is that when we get "caught," we must
humbly acknowledge it. If that does not take place, move on.

I, for one, vote we move on.

Respectfully,

B. J. Williamson