[b-greek] Discontinuities in Mk 9:28-29

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 14:25:59 EDT

Looking at Mk 9:28-29 we see several discontinuities with the immediately
preceding context. In Mk 9:28-29 We move from a public to a private
location, the participants have been reduced significantly. The mute child
and father are gone (are they?). The crowds are gone. It is just Jesus and
the disciples talking together. The type of action has changed as well.
Jesus is answering questions not asking them, and there is no casting out of
KWFON PNEUMA or any other kind mighty work taking place.

There is however one major point of continuity. The disciples question is
about their inability to EKBALEIN KWFON PNEUMA. So we might say there is
continuity of topic. So there is some cohesion between 9:28 and the
preceding events.

Keeping all of this in mind it seems like we have a "point of departure" in
9:28: KAI EISLQONTES AOUTOU EIS OIKON hOI MAQHTAI OUTOU KATA IDIAN . . .

We have what amounts to a new "scene**" (but not a new episode) starting in
9:28. It seems like a new scene should be marked off somehow visually in the
text. These visual cues in the printed text will aid those who have not yet
learned the rudiments of Discourse Analysis to see the breaks in the
discourse structure.

UBSGNT3 does not break the paragraph at 9:28 but NA26 along with Hodges &
Farstad do put a break here. This may represent nothing more than just an
editorial policy about paragraphs, since Hodges & Farstad break out a new
paragraph every time there is a change in speaker which is contrary to the
policy in UBSGNT3. It seems to me like NA26 got it right since they break
out 9:28-29 but do not break out each change in speaker in dialog
paragraphs.

Anyway, I have once again employed some intentional polysemy in my use of
the term "point of departure" so I will now await confirmation or
disapproval from two mountain ranges* east of here.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*I live between the Olympic and Cascade ranges. If you count ranges going
east the Rockies are two ranges removed from Puget Sound.

**The word "scene" is not being used as it would be in drama. More like a
movement of the camera in cinema.