[b-greek] Re: Rev. 21:3, 10

From: Ken Flowers (kflowers@mc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 10:17:37 EDT

<x-flowed>Could the sense of the meaning be changed if the object were a metaphor?

I've been working on a treatment that approaches the "city" as non-literal,
but rather as a metaphor for the "ideal church." As such the notion of it
"coming down from heaven" fits perfectly. My primary basis for this
reading is based on Rev 21:9, "Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the
Lamb's wife." Which is immediately followed with the descending of the
city. We know from other places the bride is the Church, hence
metaphor. Try reading all the descriptions of the city as if they really
are applying to the "ideal church."

Ken Flowers
Lexington, MA