[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim. 2:12, meaning of AUQENTEIN

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 14:48:24 EDT

Dear list,

The last time that Ward interacted with 1 Timothy 2:12, a few months ago by
my recollection, I sent him a substantial e-mail off-list showing the
contextual indicators that oppose his view that 1 Tim 2:12 is talking about
a husband and wife. Since B-Greek deals with Greek, not with
interpretation, I sent the post off-list, after consulting with the B-Greek
moderators to see if my post was acceptable for the web site. Ward
obviously was not impressed with my reasons.

I know that I am not supposed to get into interpretive issues much on this
list. So my recent post responding to Ward's critique of Louw and Nida
merely reminded people that what Ward is proposing has significant
arguments against it. I encourage people to look at standard commentaries
on the passages, and to look at the context for themselves, starting from
2:1 or earlier.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard