[b-greek] racist overtones in Hermas

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 18:14:17 EDT

   In that oh so long ninth Similitude, the Shepherd is explaining to
Hermas the significance of the twelve mountains that he saw. I'm trying
to figure out if it's possible to translate the passage about the first
mountain without giving it modern racist overtones (which would have been
foreign to the world of the text). The passage reads something like:

   The believers from the first mountain, which was black, are like
   this: they are apostates and blasphemers against the Lord and betrayers
   of the slaves of God. There is no repentance for these, but
   death. This is why they are black, because their race also is lawless.

   The last bit is: KAI DIA TOUTO KAI MELANES EISI, KAI GAR TO GENOS AUTWN
ANOMON ESTIN.

   I'm eager to give a translation that sticks to the text. Any
suggestions?

-- Bart D. Ehrman