[b-greek] RE: racist overtones in Hermas

From: James Ernest (jernest@hendrickson.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 15:20:28 EDT

I'm not sure there's no racism in the text. A later text, but germaine to
the larger question, is this passage from Athanasius, The Life of Antony,
where the monk is tempted by a melas pais; Antony's retort accuses the boy,
melas ei ton noun. Here's the NPNF translation:

¦ 6. At last when the dragon could not even thus overthrow Antony, but
¦saw himself thrust out of his heart, gnashing his teeth as it is written,
¦and as it were beside himself, he appeared to Antony like a black boy,
¦taking a visible shape [17a] in accordance with the colour of his mind.
¦And cringing to him, as it were, he plied him with thoughts no longer,
¦for guileful as he was, he had been worsted, but at last spoke in human
¦voice and said, 'Many I deceived, many I cast down; but now attacking
¦thee and thy labours as I had many others, I proved weak.' When Antony
¦asked, Who art thou who speakest thus with me? he answered with a
¦lamentable voice, 'I am the friend of whoredom, and have taken upon me
¦incitements which lead to it against the young. I am called the spirit of
¦lust. How many have I deceived who wished to live soberly, how many are
¦the chaste whom by my incitements I have over-persuaded! I am he on
¦account of whom also the prophet reproves those who have fallen, saying
¦[17b], "Ye have been caused to err by the spirit of whoredom." For by me
¦they have been tripped up. I am he who have so often troubled thee and
¦have so often been overthrown by thee.' But Antony having given thanks to
¦the Lord, with good courage said to him, ' Thou art very despicable then,
¦for thou art black-hearted and weak as a child. Henceforth I shall have
¦no trouble from thee, "for the Lord is my helper, and I shall look
¦down on mine enemies."' Having heard this, the black one straightway
¦fled, shuddering at the words and dreading any longer even to come near
¦the man.