[b-greek] Re: Rom.1:5: hUPAKOH PISTEWS

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 23:58:57 EDT

Carl,

Does it matter in this case that the genitive and the head noun are both verbal
ideas? This phrase strikes me as being very similar to another Pauline phrase; EX
AKOHS PISTEWS in Gal. 3:2. It seems to me that the most straightforward way to
understand this phrase is by "by hearing and believing" or "by believing what you
heard" (NIV; NRSV), rather than by understanding it in terms of a subjective or
objective genitive. Young has an interesting discussion of this under the heading of
Compound Verbal Genitives in his Intermediate NT Greek.

Could Rom 1:5, then, be understood as " we have received grace and a commission, to
lead/call people from all the nations to believe and obey?" I don't think this is at
variance with what you wrote, though perhaps there is more connection or interplay
between faith/believing and obeying here than I'm allowing for in my translation.

Thanks

Jim Murray
Racine, WI