[b-greek] Teaching Greek to non-English-primary students

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 12:24:09 EDT

>He spoke to me yesterday about the biggest problem he has in following
along
>in class: everything I say in English, he has to translate into French in
>his head. This is especially difficult when I am describing syntax for
the
>students in English terms: "In English, we would say, 'John from Georgia.'
>In Greek, they would use a genitive. In English, we would say, 'paper
>sack.' In Greek, they would use a genitive--'sack of paper.'"
>
>When I do this, I can see the smoke begin to seep from his ears--he's
having
>to make an extra step with every example to get it across the language
>barrier. The same thing happens when I write common noun constructions on
>the board: EN TWi IERWi is pretty simple for most of my students, but for
>him it's a full day's work.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Perry L. Stepp

Use more Greek and less english, even for your english students.

Consider your French student to be God's gift to your class
to help see the difference between talking about Greek and learning Greek.
When you can build up a list of Greek examples that lead a student into
understanding a structure without relying on English names you've got
something.

I'd appreciate a copy of any such drills/lessons.

ERRWSQE
Randall Buth