[b-greek] Re: Secondary Witnesses?

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:31:31 EDT

<x-flowed>

Dr. Decker:

You said:

Eph. 1:7 (DIA TOU hAIMATOS AUTOU)

>The minuscules that include this interpolation are 424, 614, 630,
>1505,1912, 2200, 2464. A half dozen out of about 5,000 would, I think, >be
>considered secondary regardless of one's textual position--except for the
>fact that it shows up in the TR!

A clarification and a question come to mind after reading this:

1. Clarification

It seems to me that you have switched meanings in your answer from the
original question. But I could very well be mistaken, hence this
clarification.

I thought "secondary" referred to "sources" not "whether a word or phrase
best reflects the unseen "originials." In other words, a source is secondary
by definition by virtue of the fact that it is not a MSS. The implication I
am getting from you is that secondary refers to whether a particular word or
phrase was "added" without apparent justification. Could you clarify this
for me?

2. Question

You seem to reject DIA TOU hAIMATOS AUTOU on the basis that only 6
minuscules attest to it. Can you think of any word or phrase with LESS
ATTESTATION that you personally consider ORIGINAL?

I personally am not aware of any myself, but I was under the impression that
there is a place or two in the GNT that has very little support, but most
consider it ORIGINAL.

I realize much of this topic is way over my head, but I really do enjoy
learning about this.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.