[b-greek] re: To be born of water

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 13:52:04 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Core" <jesuslover@neteze.com>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 2:29 AM
Subject: [b-greek] re: To be born of water

> I also don't know of an idiom, but if it was a common Hebrew idiom, it
would fit
> with the statement "Born again". The second birth is of the spirit so the
birth that

> precedes it must be the natural birth otherwise actual first birth is not
being
> counted, or else the term "born again" doesn't refer to a second birth but
a third,
> but I see that as doubtful and the emphasis on being born of the Spirit.
> in Christ -chris

"Born again" is a 2 dimensional western translation but the Semitic
languages are
more 3 dimensional and other meanings are often intended. Aramaic Min d'rish
can also
mean "from the first beginning" This is the same root as bereshit at Genesis
1:1 and lo and behold
Genesis 1:2 speaks of the breath of God moving upon the face of the WATERS.
The
mystical Jesus appears to be telling Nicodemus to start the creation process
all over again.

Jack