[b-greek] Re: New Testament Jehovah Quotes

From: Marc Pembroke (maplaw@gwi.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 13:45:31 EDT

Hi Mark,

As Jim West has pointed out, the Greek New Testament uses the word kurios
for the Divine name. A lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

There are a number of Old Testament quotes in the Greek New Testament that
appear to be identical to the Septuagint. The United Bible Society's edition
of the Aland text puts these citations in boldface print. So, either
electronically or with an Englishman's Greek concordance, you could go
through the list of Kurios occurrences, in a UBS Greek NT, and note the
citations, which are footnoted.
Then you will have to check to see which of the Divine names the Septuagint
was rendering in the Hebrew Old Testament.

Of course, not all occurrences of Kurios refer to the Divinity in the Old or
New testament, so, depending on your purposes, you will have to do some
manual checking.

Best wishes,

Marc A. Pembroke, Directeur
Institut Auguste Lecerf