[b-greek] Re: Great Divide

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 02:28:14 EDT

<x-flowed>
>The hypothetical semantic priority aficionado (SPA) is highly preoccupied
>with the semantic and pragmatic goals of the author/text. The SPA knows
>that
>these goals are best discovered by the reading and analysis of large units.
>The SPA looks for the semantic and pragmatic goals of the author/text at
>the
>paragraph level and above.

I sure hope someone will take the time to explain this, because I have
absolutely no idea what a SPA is, and yet, the FLFA seems intuitively
obvious.

Is not the larger unit (SPA) the sum total of the sub-units (FLFA)?

Could Paul, or anyone for that matter, communicate at the "higher level"
without consciously employing the "lower level?"

It seems to me that the only way to reach this "higher level" is to climb
the "lower level."

I think I can imagine someone getting overly pre-occupied with very small
details, but is that a sufficient reason to create this "Great Divide?"

Sorry, I am just not able to separate the two, unless I introduce the above
mentioned extreme, and to me, that seems unwarranted.

Mark Wilson (for the SPA type)

M + a + r + k W + i + l + s + o + n (for the FLFA type)

:o P

http://profiles.msn.com.