[b-greek] Re: Col. 2:17b P46 NA27 vs. Comfort/Barrett

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 13:15:29 EDT

With some kind assistance from a German scholar off list I have sorted out
my problem which turned out to be a elementry one due to a misreading of
some statements in K. & B. Aland, "The Text of the NT, 2nd ed..

It is amazing how soon one forgets what one once knew. I have used the
apparatus in NA26/27 very little in the last five years. When I was working
on Codex Bezae in Acts, I used J.H. Ropes and checked it against H. Alford
until Ruben Swanson's book on Acts came out and then I used it to verify
J.H. Ropes.

During my studies in the Gospel of Mark I have used Ruben Swanson almost
exclusively, with an occasional glance at H. Alford or H.B. Swete to verify
the information on the Uncials.

But when I decided to do a brief study of Colossians, I had no Ruben Swanson
to use so I had to "fall back" on NA27 for the first time in a long time and
I had forgotten the "rules."

There are some statements on pages 244,245 of K. & B. Aland ("The Text of
the NT, 2nd ed) which if they are taken out of context can be very
misleading. On page 245 we read "In the Pauline letters the 'constant
witnesses' cited explicitly for each variant where they are extant include
all the available papyri . . . ." It would be very easy reading this
statement alone to draw the wrong conclusion that P46 should be cited in
Col. 2:17b.

However, on page 243 we read " 'Constant witnesses' are manuscripts which
are cited regularly in the recording of variants (when witnesses are
cited)." Watch out for the parenthetical remark! What this boils down to is
that a "Constant Witness" will always be cited when and if the editors of
NA27 see fit to report a variant.

I should have remembered this, but after years of neglecting the NA
apparatus I had forgotten it and I just jumped to page 245 and read the
statement on the Pauline witnesses and came to the wrong conclusion.

Anyway, since a whole lot of people on this list are relatively new users to
NA27 I thought it was worth while to expose my error here lest others get
caught up in it.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew