[b-greek] Re: Acts 25: 27

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 16:38:51 EDT

on 09/29/00 12:50 PM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> on 09/28/00 12:01 PM, J. Garnier wrote:
>
>> Need help with a stricly grammatical formulation:
>>
>> Acts 25: 27 ALOGON GAR MOI DOKEI PEMPONTA DESMION MH KAI TAS KAT AUTOU AITIAS
>> SHMANAI
>>
>> My question, does TAS form an articular infinitive with SHMANAI? and KAT
>> AUTOU
>> TITIAS is a subordinate clause to it? Basics I know, but the infinitive
>> often
>> confuses me.
>
> Joseph,
>
> It looks to me like TAS belongs to AITIAS with the limiting constituent
> KAT AUTOU nested between which is not at all uncommon with Luke.
>
> Clay

Someone will undoubtedly ask why did he call KAT AUTOU a limiting
constituent and not just a prepositional phrase? I have been asked this sort
of question before.

The point is to make the statement as general as possible so that patterns
can be observed which are more abstract and therefore more generally useful.
The notion that a prepositional phrase can appear in this position is not
nearly as useful as the notion that a limiting constituent can appear in
this position.

It is not uncommon for any constituent (word, phrase, clause) which
semantically restricts a substantive to be inserted between the article and
the substantive. In extreme cases this constituent may be a complex clause
nested to several levels, but that would be unusual. Most of the time it
will be, a word, a prepositional phrase or a relative clause. The books of
the NT where examples of this can be readily observed are Luke-Acts and
Hebrews.

I suspect that constituents which are NOT limiting constituents can also
appear in this position but I am not sure about it. Someone else can address
that if they see fit.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point