[b-greek] Re: Acts 25: 27

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 17:23:39 EDT

Clayton replied to Joseph;
>on 09/29/00 12:50 PM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>
>> on 09/28/00 12:01 PM, J. Garnier wrote:
>>
>>> Need help with a stricly grammatical formulation:
>>>
>>> Acts 25: 27 ALOGON GAR MOI DOKEI PEMPONTA DESMION MH KAI TAS KAT AUTOU
>>>AITIAS
>>> SHMANAI
>>>
>>> My question, does TAS form an articular infinitive with SHMANAI? and KAT
>>> AUTOU
>>> TITIAS is a subordinate clause to it? Basics I know, but the infinitive
>>> often
>>> confuses me.
>>
>> Joseph,
>>
>> It looks to me like TAS belongs to AITIAS with the limiting constituent
>> KAT AUTOU nested between which is not at all uncommon with Luke.
>>
>> Clay

omit paragraph

>It is not uncommon for any constituent (word, phrase, clause) which
>semantically restricts a substantive to be inserted between the article and
>the substantive. In extreme cases this constituent may be a complex clause
>nested to several levels, but that would be unusual. Most of the time it
>will be, a word, a prepositional phrase or a relative clause. The books of
>the NT where examples of this can be readily observed are Luke-Acts and
>Hebrews.
>
>I suspect that constituents which are NOT limiting constituents can also
>appear in this position but I am not sure about it. Someone else can address
>that if they see fit.

I agree with Clayton concerning the article TAS used with AITIAS. Both are
accusative fem. plural. Not only that but the infinitive takes only one of
three articles, neuter singular genitive, dative, or accusative. I think
also that any time you have a constituent nested between the article and
the noun it agrees with, it must be limiting or as we old timers say it
modifies the noun so I have trouble imagining a constituent in that
position that does not limit.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College