[b-greek] Re: EN EKKLHSIAi (EN TAIS EKKLHSIAIS)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 08:55:09 EDT

At 1:44 AM +0000 10/6/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>1 Cor. 14:35
>
>EI DE TI MAQEIN QELOUSIN EN OIKWi TOUS IDIOUS ANDRAS EPERWTATWSAN AISCRON
>GAR ESTI GUNAIZIN EN EKKLHSIAi LALEIN
>
>(Is it just me, or is not EN OIKWi a bit awkward? For proper agreement, I
>would have expected EN TOIS OIKOIS.)
>

>However, my primary interest is more concerned with EN EKKLHSIAi.
>
>Ignoring the debate as to whether or not this verse appeared in the
>"original," could someone please help me understand the EN EKKLHSIAi here?
>
>The switch to the singular EN EKKLHSIAi from verse 34 (EN TAIS EKKLHSIAIS)
>provoked my interest. Is there any significance to this?
>
>One interpreter finds this singular significant, and refers his readers back
>to 1 Cor. 11:18:
>
>PRWTON MEN GAR SUNERCOMENWN hUMWN EN THi EKKLHSIAi
>
>Concerning which he contends that this is a reference to the public assembly
>as it assembles to celebrate the Lord's Supper. It is during this time ONLY
>that the wives were to SIGATWSAN (14:34). He contends that during this
>Lord's Supper, there was a "question and answer" time. This he surmises
>based on the original Lord's Supper when questions were asked, as well as
>Acts 20:7 where we find DIALEGOMAI.

Mike Sangrey has already identified EN OIKWi with "at home";if it isn't, it
should be equally obvious that EN EKKLHSIAI must meet "at meeting (of the
congregation" (my own suggestion a few weeks ago when people were quibbling
over the right term for EKKLHSIA, if we don't quite understand it in fully
institutional terms and certainly not as a reference to a site or building,
was "meeting"--understanding that to be a meeting of the local
congregation).

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu