[b-greek] follow-up on PROSKUNEW

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 10:40:12 EDT

<x-flowed>

I recently asked for the whereabouts of the 6 uses of PROSKUNEW in the
Church Fathers.

I have reviewed all 6 and would like to ask a question on the only use of
PROSKUNEW that is not used of pagan worship.

Here is the English translation with the Greek provided. Can you tell me why
this translator translated PROKUNOUMEN as "we adore?"

Concerning the Martyrdom of the Holy Polycarp

Chapter XVII.-The Christians are Refused Polycarp's Body.

(To provide you with a context, I have included the English for all of
Chapter 17.)

17:1,2 (PROSKUNEW apparently does not appear in verse 2 although the ENGLISH
word "worship" is used.)

This he said at the suggestion and urgent persuasion of the Jews, who also
watched us, as we sought to take him out of the fire, being ignorant of
this, that it is neither possible for us ever to forsake Christ, who
suffered for the salvation of such as shall be saved throughout the whole
world (the blameless one for sinners), nor to worship (I do not know the
Greek word used here) any other.

17:3 -- TOUTON MEN GAR hUION ONTA TOU QEOU PROSKUNOUMEN, TOUS DE MARTURAS
hWS MAQHTAS KAI MIMHTAS TOU KURIOU AGAPWMEN AXIWS hENEKA EUNOIAS
ANUPERBLHTOU THS EIS TON IDION BASILEA KAI DIDASKALON' hWN GENOITO KAI
hHMAS KOINWNOUS TE KAI SUMMAQHTAS GENESQAI.

For Him indeed, as being the Son of God, we adore; but the martyrs, as
disciples and followers of the Lord, we worthily love on account of their
extraordinary affection towards their own King and Master, of whom may we
also be made companions48 and fellow-disciples!

Why not: "the Son of God we worship?"

Up to this point, every usage of PROSKUNEW, even in the NT, was used outside
the sense of John 4. It would appear that the two main elements of
PROSKUNEW, namely, at a certain location and accompanied by ritual acts (its
Jewish meaning), prevented this word from assuming the re-definition that
John 4 assigned it.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson