[b-greek] Re: Finding and Downloading Greek NT

From: Mark Goodacre (M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 11:01:17 EDT

On 9 Oct 2000, at 16:11, Phil Collins wrote:

> I am searching for sources that I can download the NT in Greek.
> The only one I have found is at
> http://www.olivetree.com/bible/Frames/GreekNewTestament.htm. Do
> you know if this is a good source and which text would be the
> best one to download? Also, Olivetree lists a number of Greek
> fonts that can be downloaded. Do you have a suggestion which one
> would be best?

I have attempted to collect together a number of these on-line
Greek NT texts on a page at:

http://www.ntgateway.com/greek

It includes two new one's, Michael Haggett's "New Testament
in Greek" and (anon) "The Online Greek Bible".

In my opinion the best on-line Greek text is far and away the
late Tony Fisher's Greek New Testament
(http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/gnt). You won't need
to download any fonts, it is fully searchable and easy to use,
browse etc. The text approximates to Nestle-Aland 26.

As far as fonts are concerned, I generally recommend SPIonic
because it's free and user-friendly, though not all on b-greek
agree with me. You can now access it along with SPTiberian
(Hebrew) and straightforward instructions + added functionality
in the "Tyndale Font Kit", for details of which see
http://www.ntgateway.com/greek/fonts.htm.

I have in the pipeline a fresh page on my All-in-One Biblical
Resources Search which will gather together some of the best
of these searchable Greek NTs + other useful internet Greek
resources. For the time being you can access some of them
on the "Bible Versions and Translations" Page
(http://www.ntgateway.com/multibib.htm).

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk
  Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
  University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
  Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
  Homepage
http://www.ntgateway.com