[b-greek] Re: Famous quote

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:31:52 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 12:07 10/10/00, you wrote:

>I suspect that this is a quote from a Greek philosopher: "To be truly
>virtuous it is necessary to do less than is permissible and more than is
>required." Does anyone know who said it? By the way, my quote is from
>memory and may not be exact.

Kevin:
Using Carl's signpost to Aristotle, and the " Greek Words in Proximity "
feature on my Perseus CD-ROM I have found several occurrences of
hUPERBOLH and ENDEIA: in close proximity

These two seem closest to the elegantly turned phrase you reproduce --- but
one which I suspect contains more than an element of Occam's Razor <g> [
and there are many translations of that, too --- one which may offend
purists but which I like is: More than enough is too much ]

Eud. Eth. 1249b 20
and any mode of choice and acquisition that either through deficiency or
excess hinders us from serving and from contemplating God--that is a bad one.

Nic. Eth. 1104a 10
First of all then we have to observe, that moral qualities are so
constituted as to be destroyed by excess and by deficiency-

Regards,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie