[b-greek] Re: advice with some texts on Manuscripts

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:45:40 EST

<x-flowed>
At 12:17 PM 10/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I want to buy a book or two on Textual Criticism. Of the following,
>which are the most useful--in depth and breadth?
>
>The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration
>(1992) by Bruce Metzger;
>The Text of the New Testament (1989) by Kurt Aland Barbara Alund;
>The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek NT (1998) by Cleon
>Rogers, Jr.

Metzger and Aland are equally deep and broad. Yet they complement each
other. You should really get them both. These are the standard,
single-author introductions. There are many other good, specialized
treatments, and a few simplified intros (Black, Greenlee, Elliott/Moir,
etc.), but the two you list are the standards. (Rogers has nothing to do
with text. crit.)

>Any others you can suggest? I already have A Textual Commentary on the
>Greek New Testament (1971) by Bruce Metzger
>
>Also, does anyone know if The Complete Koine Greek NT audio cassette by
>Spiros Zodhiates is read with the pronounciation of Koine or Modern Greek?
>I hope it is Koine pronounciation.

Modern

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
XNS Universal Address: =RodDecker
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm