[b-greek] Re: advice with some texts on Manuscripts

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:58:20 EST

on 10/31/00 11:17 AM, Michael Kennedy wrote:

> I want to buy a book or two on Textual Criticism. Of the following,
> which are the most useful--in depth and breadth?
>
> The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration
> (1992) by Bruce Metzger;
> The Text of the New Testament (1989) by Kurt Aland Barbara Alund;

> The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek NT (1998) by Cleon
> Rogers, Jr.

As a text book on TC, Metzger is vastly superior to Alands. The Aland's book
is a reference tool which assumes you know what they are talking about. It
is more up to date on some issues than Metzger but that is really not all
that big a deal. If you are looking to understand the history, issues and
methods of TC, get Metzger first. Then get the Aland's book later. You will
want to own both of them eventually.

The third book I know nothing about, but it does not appear to be even on
the topic of TC.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew