[b-greek] Re: Perfect Subjunctive

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 22:35:21 EST

Rob Matlack wrote;

>I am teaching a very basic Greek course to my children to expose them to
>a language. In the course of their study they noticed that the forms of
>the aorist subjunctive would be the same as what one might expect in the
>future subjunctive. A discussion about the absence of the future
>subjuctive followed. The high school level book that they are using
>indicated that the only tenses in the subjuctive are present and aorist.
>I thought I recalled a perfect subjunctive and found it on various verb
>charts. However, a quick look in Blass DeBrunner, Goetchius, and Burton's
>Moods and Tenses turned up nothing of help. A search in BibleWorks found
>only forms of OIDA as perfect subjunctives.
>
>Could someone briefly summarize this subject in Koine and or Classical
>Greek? Thanks.

Rob, the only perfect subjunctive forms that appear in the NT are forms of
OIDA (ten occurances). There are eleven occurances of the periphrastic
perfect subjunctive in the NT. One active is 2Cor 1:9 PEPOIQOVTES WMEN. One
of the passive is John 3:27 H DEDOMENON. From what I have read, the perfect
subjunctive is equally rare in other Helenistic literature.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net