[b-greek] Re: Barnabas patting himself on the back...

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 15:27:53 EST

At 2:23 PM -0500 11/10/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> The Epistle of Barnabas starts out a shade rough; among other little
>nuggets is 1:3 DIO KAI MALLON SUGXAIRW hEMAUTWi ELPIZWN SWQHNAI. I
>believe I've asked the list about a different aspect of this, but now I'm
>curious about the SUGXAIRW hEMAUTWi. The preceding verse indicates that
>the author rejoices over the readers because they've received such a heavy
>dose of God's grace -- the spirit planted within them.
>
> For SUGXAIRW hEMAUTWi Bauer suggests "congratulate myself," and gives
>several other references from the Apostolic Fathers and possibly the NT.
>The idiom doesn't occur much elsewhere -- just a short reference in the
>big Scott (congratulate = wish one joy). But, well, I'm not so sure (Lake
>and Holmes both go for it). Why can't it simply be "rejoice within
>myself" (or "rejoice deep down") or some such thing? Part of the questoin
>is what it might mean for him to congratulate himself, hoping to be saved.
>What's he congratulating himself for? That *God* has given them the
>spirit that leads to salvation? Maybe he should be congratulating *God*!
>
> Anyway, any ideas on the best way to render it?

Ideas, yes, opinions, yes;a clue? no, but maybe or just possibly.

Two things leap to mind:

(1) rendering: "I take great satisfaction" or " "I am deeply gratified" ...

(2) One might do well to check the lexica for other SUN-prefixed verbs. One
of the more interesting (and tricky) ones is SUNOIDA which is regularly
used with a reflexive pronoun in the dative (because of the compounding
with SUN-) and a participle. It's particularly common in the first person,
as when Socrates, for instance, says things like SUNOIDA GAR EMAUTWi OUDEN
EIDWS EI MH MHDEN EIDWS: something like "I am conscious of being X or of
doing Y" -- "I am aware that I know nothing except that I have have no
knowledge ..." One might do well to take a look at other verbs compounded
with SUN-, particularly ones expressive of emotion like SUNHDOMAI and
SUMPASCW, and check out which ones may be or commonly are used with a
reflexive and a participle in the nominative.

By the way, did you really mean to indicate a rough breathing in that
reflexive first-person pronoun? Or is it analogical extension from the hE-
forms of the third person reflexive which gets used in Koine as a
substitute for SEAUTOU and even (I think) for hHMWN AUTWN? I would have
thought the combination you cite would be SUGCAIRW EMAUTWi with a smooth
breathing reflexive pronoun.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/