[b-greek] 1 Timothy 2.4 question

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 21:16:02 EST

Alan asked:

> 1 Timothy 2.4
>
> hOS PANTAS ANQRWPOUS QELEI SWQHNAI
> KAI EIS EPIGNWSEN ALHQESIA ELQEIN
>
> What are the pros and cons for KAI separating two
> separate ideas here?

Alan, I'm not sure there is syntactic evidence for conjunctive vs. ascensive
KAI here. So, we likely must look at lexical and theological evidence. It
seems to me that in Pauline theology SWQHNAI is a broader, more inclusive,
event than EPIGNWSEN... Paul was saturated in Hebrew theology in which
salvation was holistic, not primarily cognitive. Now, if we can find enough
Pauline passages where EPIGNWSEN ALHQESIA ELQEIN is metonymic for salvation,
then we would have a rather strong case for ascensive KAI here.

In English, in my church background, anyway, the term "to know the Lord" is
often used essentially as a synonym for being "saved." But that is English,
and I don't know what a complete survey of Pauline theology in the Greek
would show. At this point, I would lean toward saying that that the KAI of 1
Tim 2.4 separates two separate ideas, although there is, in my mind, anyway,
a relationship between the two. For example, Paul himself makes the point in
Romans 10 that hearing the truth leads to believing it which is part of the
salvation scenario.

FWIW,
Wayne
---