[b-greek] PORNEIA in the LXX

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 21:44:49 EST

I am working on one of those dreaded word studies for a seminary scripture
class and have a few requests. I am laboring mightily not to read too much
into the context but must satisfy the conditions of the paper as well.

The LEH Lexicon of the Septuagint classifies three different usage's for
PORNEIA. They are:

whoredom, Fornication Gn 38,24;
sexual urges Tob 8,7;
unfaithfulness and apostasy (in relation to God) Hos 4,12

There are a total of 50 occurrences with 40 of these in the Prophets. I am
particularly interested to see if the third sense above, unfaithfulness, is
found in any non-biblical literature. If so, does it also relate to a
relationship with a God or between people?

I am also interested in any cultural references you could provide for this
usage in both the Septuagint and NT contexts. Hebrew cultural or linguistic
references are also welcome.

Please use proper discretion when deciding whether to post privately or to
the list. Theological opinions are welcome in PRIVATE responses.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve Puluka
Chair of the Adult Education Committee