[b-greek] Learning Greek vs. other languages

From: Rick L. Hammer (rhammer@fastlane.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 12:43:33 EST

Dear B-Greekers,

I've been folliwng with some interest the thread concerning the various
reasons that first-year students sometimes do not continue their studies.
All I want to say regarding this debate is, that from a student's point
of view--I'm currently a second year student--an instructor would have
to be very poor in order to be a major impediment to keep *determined*
students from learning Greek. As a student, you either want to learn
Greek or you do not. I remember Carl stating--many moons ago--that the
good students will overcome any obstacles presented by less-than-competent
instructors. I wholeheartedly agree with his statement.

Now, on to my question (and please forgive for the previous digression):
How does Greek compare in difficulty to learning other languages? I
would particularily direct this question to those who are proficient in
one of the modern Romance languages (as a non-native) but any insights
are welcome. I've had some limited experience with Spanish but not
enough to really make a comparison. This is a question I've been wanting
to ask for some time and I hope the same is of interest to and within the
bounds of the list.

Thanks,
Rick Hammer
Greek enthusiast