[b-greek] Re: Greek 101 drop outs - Follow up

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:18:30 EST

on 11/21/00 8:41 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

----
> I tell students in the opening class that they should drop immediately
> unless they are prepared to work . . .

> The fact of the matter is that the warning is--more often than
> not--ignored;

Carl,

This reminds me of my old college buddy Mike who climbs Mt Ranier every year
and has for the last 37 consecutive years. Mike often does one day trips up
Ranier which are a bit strenuous and take a certain amount of physical
conditioning in preperation.

Every year a whole crowd of people come along wanting to do The Mountain
with him and he sits down with them and explains what it is like to do 9-11
thousand vertical feet and back in one day (19-26 hours). Then he takes them
on a few pratice trips to weed out the wimps. His practice trips are pretty
nasty and he weeds out about 95% of the would be climbers in the first trip.

It does not matter how much talking you do to people they just will not
understand how difficult a one day trip is on Mt. Ranier. Words just do not
do it justice.

Learning Greek is not a one day trip it is a 10-15 year trip and hard work
all the way.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew