[b-greek] New Students (was RE: Greek 101 drop outs)

From: Andrew C. Livengood, Sr. (livngood@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:40:59 EST

Greetings All:

As a homeschooling parent I would be interested in opinions relating to the
best way to guide teenaged children in learning Greek. Lord willing, I hope
to begin working through introductory Latin the summer after next by using
"Artes Latinae", a self-teaching type course; afterwards, about one to two
summers following that, to begin with Greek; from then on - when each child
reaches a certain age (or potential) - the language studies will continue
and overlap in the years that follow. We homeschool year-round, with summer
having a relaxed schedule; thus enabling everyone to take the time in
getting used to new subjects. (This coming summer is covered: Introductory
Logic.)

One of my reasons for starting with Latin (and not Greek) is because I
assume that following a path from English to Latin to Greek would be more
easily comprehended by the kids. Latin is relatively "closer" to English
while introducing language inflection. [I think] Starting with Greek might
be too overwhelming in that it hits them with having to study a completely
new and unfamiliar language and learning about inflection both at the same
time. So, while they're going to have to deal with inflection in either
case, the (again, relative) connection (similarity) between English and
Latin - as opposed to English and Greek - would do quite a bit to protect
them from "language shock".

The oldest will be thirteen when we start with Latin, and at least fourteen
when we start with Greek (more likely 15). As I've mentioned, we have the
materials for Latin, but I've been hard pressed to find non-Biblical,
"elementary" courses for Greek. [While I hope to progress to Biblical
Languages, I believe that beginning with "Classic" Greek (et al.) would be
of greater benefit in the long run. (Thanks for the insistence over the
years, Carl!)]

So...
Can anyone recommend either already existing courses in Classic Greek or a
course of action to that effect? ("Existing courses" may include online
courses should anyone know of some that would suit the age bracket.) Again,
I have lots of time to get the materials (texts, exercises, etc.) together
should the latter end up being the best way to go. My main concern is in
having an actual avenue of pursuit.

Oh, and regarding the subject that prompted my request, one of the good
things about homeschooling is that my kids can't drop a course! :) (Although
I will say that we do strive to "manipulate" some subjects in an attempt to
conform to and/or encourage their personal interests.)

Many thanks and blessings to all,

Andrew C. Livengood, Sr.
Edison, NJ
livngood@optonline.net