[b-greek] Commentaries on the Greek Text

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 23:25:47 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Steve Lo Vullo,

<< ... the sad fact is that most commentaries based on the Greek text
hardly ever deal with the true intricacies of Greek grammar and syntax. >>

There is some truth to your statement. And although you most likely had
only the NT in purview, the fact you didn't make it explicit made me think
of the various commentaries on classical texts which I've used. And I
wonder if they might not be better than NT commentaries as far as dealing
with "the true intricacies of Greek grammar and syntax"? My sense of it is
that, generally, many of them do a better job than even the best NT
commentaries. But even for these non-NT commentaries, they generally only
comment on issues which they perceive to be "problems." Most commentaries
(with perhaps a few exceptions) don't try to help the "intermediate"
student much.

Hmm ... I guess the market is wide open for someone to write that killer
"best seller" on an inductive study of Greek grammar for the intermediate
student. If anyone wants see an example of something similar, one might
take a look at "Six Books of the Aeneid of Vergil" by Harper & Miller
[1892, 1920], which devotes almost 40 pages to an inductive grammatical
study of Vergilian Latin. (Perhaps others can think of better examples.)

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@plantnet.com