[b-greek] Re: EGIERW in perfect in 1Cor 15

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 23:22:15 EST

<x-flowed>

Dmitriy Reznik:

You asked:

>Will you please help me to translate EGEIRW which is very often used in
>1Cor 15 in perfect tense? Actually it is used in verses 12, 13, 14, 16,
>17, 20. I would suspect it to be intransitive, as I have already been
>taught in this forum. But presence of G-d as the subject who HGEIREN
>Jesus makes me doubt. What would you say: should EGHGERTAI be translated
>as passive, or as intransitive middle?

I think one could argue that each Perfect Tense of EGEIRW in the passages
you cited could very well be translated something like: "is in a resurrected
state" (without implying any Passive sense).

But as you point out, G-d is mentioned as the subject of EGEIRW in this
passage as well, so WHEN THIS CONSTRUCT IS USED, I might see Christ's
resurrection having a passive sense.

Perhaps one could even argue that Paul sees both Christ and G-d actively
involved in Christ's resurrection. Hence, as to the resurrection of Christ,
the Middle/Reflexive sense when the Perfect is used, and the passive sense
when G_d is the stated subject in the Actives.

I do not that Paul does NOT use hUPO + Genitive or an Instrumental construct
in this passage, which would have been a sure sign of passivity.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson