[b-greek] Re: aspect and participles

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 02:54:28 EST

Dear Stephen,
let me state my guess.

>Porter defines the aspect of participles as +factive presupposition, but
does
> not explain what this means, especially in relation to his definition of
> infinitives as -factive presupposition. Is anyone aware of any work done on
> this aspect of participles?

Participial clauses tend to refer to factual situations, whereas
infinitive clauses tend to refer to potential situations. For example,
consider:

1) Remember meeting him.
2) Remember to meet him.

I am not so sure if both sentences make good sense to the native speakers.
 But my point is that
the participial clause in 1) refer to the factual situation that has
happened,
whereas the infinitive clause in 2 refer to the potential non-factual
situation.

Moon
Associate Professor
Dept of Media Technology