[b-greek] Re: The usage of TOU + Infinitive in Gal 3:10

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 22:04:11 EST

Carl wrote:

(A)
> But that brings back the other matter, that the
> articular infinitive is in the aorist, which does suggest to me "so as to
> get them performed" rather than "so as to perform them
> continually/repeatedly."

(B)
> My guess is
> that the Hebrew translated here as TOU POIHSAI AUTA is simply a form of the
> preposition LE and the infinitive with its pronominal object ending--and
> that would, I think, again go back to purpose or result usage.

Hebrew has only one form of infinitive, and it is most natural to
translate
it into aorist infinitive. POIHSAI, as the rendering of the Hebrew
infinitive,
does not seem to emphasize the completion of the action involved. So,
I wonder if "get them performed" is the right way to understand TOU
POIHSAI AUTA. Even in Greek, aorist infinitives are unmarked or neutral
while present infinitives seem marked. So, even from the viewpoint of
Greek, I wonder if
the point made in (A) is reasonable.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung